How to Create a Species Writing Template
- 1). Open the word processor of your choice on a computer.
- 2). Type the word Genus. Capitalize the G to emphasize that the first letter of the genus is capitalized. Insert several underscores to form a line for students to write on.
- 3). Type the word species immediately after the underscores. Leave the s lowercase to emphasize that the first letter of the species is never capitalized. Insert several underscores to form another writing guide.
- 4). Copy and paste the template on a new line. Change "Genus" to read "G." Shorten the number of underscores so that students have the space to write only the capital initial of the genus.
- 5). Copy and paste the two lines to fill the page. Print a copy of your species writing template. Fill out the first line with a sample, such as "Homo sapiens/H. sapiens." Underline the species name if handwritten or italicize if typed.